Like Us On Facebook

Monday, February 23, 2015

CNN face: 'I want my kid to be gay, too'

 

CNN-logo-600

A CNN political commentator who is also a writer for the Daily Beast is now saying not only is she homosexual, but she wants her 6-year-old daughter to grow to be a lesbian as well.

Sally Kohn

Sally Kohn

“I’m gay. And I want my kid to be gay, too,” says Sally Kohn, in an editorial published in the Washington Post.

“Many of my straight friends, even the most liberal, see this logic as warped. It’s one thing for them to admit that they would prefer their kids to be straight, something they’ll only begrudgingly confess. But wanting my daughter to be a lesbian? I might as well say I want her to grow up to be lactose intolerant.”

“‘Don’t you want her to be happy?’ one friend asked. Perhaps he just meant that it’s easier to be straight in a homophobic culture. But this attitude complies with, even reinforces, that culture in the first place.”

Kohn also complained that her young daughter is already showing an interest in boys.

“So far, it doesn’t look like my 6-year-old daughter is gay. In fact, she’s boy crazy,” Kohn writes.

“It seems early to me, but I’m trying to be supportive. Recently, she had a crush on an older boy on her school bus. She was acting as any precocious, socially awkward child would, which is to say not very subtle. I confided in a friend who has an older daughter. ‘She wants to give this kid a card and presents,’ I e-mailed. ‘The other kid is so embarrassed. It’s painful to watch. What do I do?’

Sally Kohn, right, wants her daughter, Willa Hansen-Kohn, center, to be a lesbian like herself.

Sally Kohn, right, wants her daughter, Willa Hansen-Kohn, center, to be a lesbian like herself.

“My friend wrote back with a slew of helpful advice, ending with a punch to my gut: ‘Bet it wouldn’t bother you so much if her crush was on a girl.’

“She was right. I’m a slightly overbearing pro-gay gay mom. But I’m going to support my daughter, whatever choices she makes.”

Kohn noted: “All I ultimately care about is that she has the choice and that whatever choice she makes is enthusiastically embraced and celebrated.”

Reaction online is varied, including:

  • “This is like saying you want your kid to be autistic. You are hoping she has a brain abnormality.”
  • “You rock, Sally. Finally there are some gay people who are willing to turn off the nicey nice for two seconds and tell well-meaning straight people that we’re sick of the condescension. I don’t care how liberal you are, if you feel sorry for us for being gay, then you’re part of the problem.”
  • “Sorry, as a gay man I totally disagree. Growing up in the conservative South I’ve seen what pushing kids can do whether gay or straight. Personally I don’t think she should even have kids with that type of thinking. It is bad enough to be a lesbian or be gay striving to be accepted. Which personally at this point I am totally over the desire to be accepted at all. But personally this woman’s views are just as bad any parent who wants their kid to grow up in a prefabricated mold.”

CNN face: 'I want my kid to be gay, too'
-NO AUTHOR-
Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:34:44 GMT

0 comments:

Post a Comment